Admissions to our School

When can my child start school?

Most children start school in the September following their fourth birthday. However, by law a child does not have to start school until the term following their fifth birthday.

Child’s birthday Start school
1 September 2015 to 31 August 2016 September 2020
1 September 2016 to 31 August 2017  September 2021

All reception age children are offered full time places when they start at our school. If parents want their child to attend part time from September or to delay entry until later on in the academic year, please contact us directly to arrange this.

How to apply for a place at this school:

  • For children due to start school in September 2020, you must apply to Wiltshire Council for a school place for your child by midnight on 15th January 2020. Wiltshire residents should apply online at

Non-Wiltshire residents should apply to their own local authority for a place in this school. This also applies to families planning to move to the area (except service personnel, see below).

In the event of oversubscription, we will apply our Admissions Policy's criteria for determining priority of admission (see Admissions Policy above).

  • If you wish your child to transfer to New Close School, you should complete a Wiltshire transfer application form and return it directly to Wiltshire Council, even if you live outside the county.
  • If you wish your child to transfer to a school outside Wiltshire from September 2014, you should contact the home authority for the school to clarify the admissions process.
  • All admissions for children who have a statement of SEN or an Education Health and Care Plan are managed by the SEND team at Wiltshire Council, who should be contacted directly on 01225 718095.
  • Applications from service personnel moving into Wiltshire

When applying for a school place, children of UK Service personnel (HM forces) or other crown servants are treated as meeting the residency criteria for a particular area, even if they don’t yet own a house in the county. Until a fixed address is available, the unit address of the military base will be used and a school place allocated accordingly.

Parents are advised to attach proof of their posting to the transfer application form and a letter of support from the commanding officer if the posting note does not indicate the housing arrangements.

If your child will be starting school in September with the normal round of admissions, parents must send proof of their posting to the county.

  • Arrangements for the admission of pupils with disabilities

Upon notification of a forthcoming admission of a pupil with disabilities, the school liaises with parents, the child’s current school or nursery and, where appropriate, external agencies in order to provide a good transition into our school.

New Close School reserves the right to request parents to verify their child’s birth date by producing a birth certificate or other official document.