The History Implementation - How we teach what we teach
The curriculum has been designed to enable skills and knowledge for History to be built on sequentially and repeated systematically. In mapping out the curriculum, consideration has been given to prior knowledge and skills required between year groups, units of work and subjects. For example in year 5 and 6, in term 1 of the Year B cycle, children complete a Geography unit of work on South America. This puts into context a History unit on The Ancient Maya in term 2 before returning to a Geography unit based on the changing use of the Rainforest and climate change. In term 4, children apply the themes of an ancient civilization by looking at The Ancient Greeks. Children are expected to transfer/recall knowledge and apply skills across these units of work. This is replicated in all year groups across the Year A and B cycle.
For year A and B annual class overviews click here
Progression of knowledge and skills is mapped out, which forms the core of our units of work and learning objectives. The Rising Stars schemes of work, is used as the basis of our work. This is adapted to ensure it meets the needs of our New Close children and each class that we teach.
Within each session, children develop their understanding of the learning objective sat within a sequence of lessons. Typically this follows a structure of:
- Recall prior learning: knowledge organisers, mini quizzes, partner work etc
- Vocabulary introduction: previous vocabulary recapped, new vocabulary introduced
- Everybody reads: short piece of reading based around the theme for the lesson designed to broaden understanding and ensure that reading skills are applied to all contexts
- Task: teacher input and task which links to input and learning objective - this could be independent, paired or group based
- Steps for depth/mastery (look at exceeding statement on progression document): this is an opportunity to extend children’s learning, knowledge and skills for all or some children as appropriate
- Plenary: This the recap/recall/application of skills and knowledge in relation to learning objective.