The Science Implementation- How we teach what we teach
Each scientific unit is taught through a carefully prepared sequence of lessons sitting within the overall framework of our 2 year rolling programme.
Progression of knowledge and skills is mapped out, which forms the core of our units of work and learning objectives. The Rising Stars schemes of work, is used as the basis of our work. This is adapted to ensure it meets the needs of our New Close children and each class that we teach.
Units of science are taught in blocks over a 6 week period. This allows the teacher to more effectively use formative assessment to address misconceptions and errors pupils may have had during the previous lesson and address these quickly.
A Science Unit
Within the science unit there is a link to key concepts for the term and the big school question. This promotes deeper thinking on the theme and gives children the opportunity to apply skills and knowledge taught. Each topic starts with a ‘hook’ and ends with an authentic outcome, which reflects the term’s learning. During the unit of work, children are given opportunities to recap on knowledge learnt. Knowledge organisers are being developed to support the recall and retention of important facts, they also provide opportunities for learning to be linked between units. In addition, children are enabled to broaden their understanding of the subject/topic by accessing a range of other experiences (trips, visitors, hooks, authentic outcomes). These experiences are mapped out on the class annual overviews
For class annual overviews Click here
For knowledge organisers Click here
A Science Lesson
Within each session, children develop their understanding of the learning objective sat within a sequence of lessons. Typically this follows a structure of:
- Recall prior learning: knowledge organisers, mini quizzes, partner work etc
- Vocabulary introduction: previous vocabulary recapped, new vocabulary introduced
- Everybody reads: short piece of reading based around the theme for the lesson designed to broaden understanding and ensure that reading skills are applied to all contexts
- Task: teacher input and task which links to input and learning objective- this could be independent, paired or group based
- Steps for depth/mastery (look at exceeding statement on progression document): this is an opportunity to extend children’s learning, knowledge and skills for all or some children as appropriate
- Plenary: This the recap/recall/application of skills and knowledge in relation to learning objective